Friday, May 16, 2014

Heal The Sick- Why I Chose and Love the Nursing Profession

I cannot believe only a mere 9 months ago I began my journey to becoming a nurse. I am currently in my third semester and by far it is the hardest yet due to two days of four hour lectures, one day of 2 hour labs, and two days of 12 hours clinical. By the time it is Friday I am incredibly exhausted, but is it worth it? You bet! I was reflecting back on why I wanted to be a nurse and the bottom line was in order to help people and aid in their healing. I want to be that friendly face that is a joy for the patients’ to see, I want to help them in anything they need. Nursing is not just a science it also is an art, this is stressed so much in my school but it is so much than that, nursing is a calling and it truly is so beautiful.

Nurses do so many things and there are a variety of different kinds of nurses, I strive to be one that connects in a deep manner to my patients. I have done a variety of things in the past 9 months however each thing is still amazing no matter what it is. I have done stuff like started an IV passed meds, and given a shot however what really matters most to me is when I am really making a connection with my patients. Things a simple as changing an incontinent patient means a lot to me because I am making that connection.  Countless times I have been told that I was loved or I was an angel for doing this simple task because I showed that I really cared about the patient and cleaning them was not an inconvenience at all. I have seen death unfortunately, and soon I will be able to see the miracle of life as I transition to OB clinical in a couple weeks. These simple connections truly makes a difference and helps to feed my soul. I can only wonder  what the future will bring however I know if I continue with my current attitude I will only continue to grow. It took me awhile to get to this place, however now that I am here I cannot wait to see what the future has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Imperfectly Perfect- A Love Story

           Once upon a time, well about 10 years ago to be exact a lonely girl was searching for something or someone to connect to. She di...