Sunday, May 18, 2014

Delayed Gratification

Love is an incredibly powerful force on this earth. It has the power to bring people or even nations together to enhance the world. It seems like everyone is looking for love but what happens when you find it? At first, when you meet someone new and you really like them, you may think you are in love but in reality it is lust. During this stage you want to be with the person 24/7 and you care about the person so much that often time’s people spend every spare minute thinking and communicating with that person. You are consumed with that person and all you want is to be with them. Heck even today people decide they want to get married to that person immediately and they think that the person they “love” is the best person for them and has absolutely no flaws. This unfortunately is far from the truth, as humans we all have faults and we are NOT perfect. This all-encompassing thoughts about the person we are dating is even worse with our first love. I remember my first love, it happened when I was in high school at a mere 15 years old and we dated for a while, back then I thought he was the perfect person for me and that I was going to marry him. Looking back on this, it is incredibly funny, how would I know who was right for me at 15 years old! I was a child and at the time and had no idea who I was. Even today as young adults a lot of people do not know who they are yet they are still getting married because it is the next “step” so to speak in their life. By no means do I mean any disrespect to people who get married young as that is their decision, however I personally feel you should get to know someone for a couple YEARS before you make that plunge. Ultimately it comes down to really getting to know that person on a deep level and delayed gratification.   
 

 A lot of individuals say marriage is a lot of work and I completely agree, however relationships are just as much work as marriages. Sure you are not trying to pay double bills or raising kids however they still require work. I think the problem is so many of us are trained from Disney movies that we will “meet our prince and live happily ever after”. What they fail to show is what happens after the marriage or after the courtship.

I wish that our society looked at dating much like it occurred during our parents time where a man courted a girl and they went on dates for a while, after a certain length of time which lasted from about 6-9 months the guy asked the girl if she would like to go steady and they then were a couple. Instead today, we meet someone and within one date we define the relationship and automatically become a boyfriend or girlfriend. What happened to really getting to know that person? What happened to growing yourself? What happened to delayed gratification? I honestly belief that we should try to get back to something remotely like this. If we don’t jump into relationships then we are less likely to get our hearts broken, more likely to legitimately get to know that person and discover if they are truly the right person for us. Ultimately it comes down to delaying our gratification in order to truly get to know ourselves and another human being.  

2 comments:

  1. Our world is full of instant gratification - and somethings are just better if the wait is prolonged. I always think of the saying absence makes the heart grow fonder... waiting, be patient, it's all worth it. But we're so conditioned - I was just talking to a professor on campus who said that she has a week turn around time on tests and assignments (which I think is pretty good!) and within 48 hours she will have students who are knocking on her door demanding a grade, like her world revolves around JUST that one student and JUST that one assignment. It's almost like a sense of entitlement is ruining our ability to empathize. And YES relationships outside of marriage require work! So glad you brought that up. I have a girlfriend who has been dating a guy for FIVE years and just because they aren't married doesn't mean they don't have serious issues (both good and bad) on their plate! Gah, I could just talk with you for hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you!! I think one thing that really creates this instant gratification is our evolving technology. When we were kids waiting was part of life, I can remember waiting for all sorts of things such as birthdays of course, or things as simple as tests. Back in elementary school I think a week was the time period before I got a test back. Now as you mentioned we all want it now and are often not willing to wait for it. Aww thanks! Glad that we can connect though the blogging world!! :D

      Delete

Imperfectly Perfect- A Love Story

           Once upon a time, well about 10 years ago to be exact a lonely girl was searching for something or someone to connect to. She di...