Monday, August 4, 2014

What Do You Think? What is the Purpose of Reviews?

As I am studying for my finals this week I have been getting some food cravings which always happens during finals. First I thought I wanted some Thai food but then I decided I wanted to get some Chinese food. In true finals fashion I am feeling lazy so I look what restaurants will deliver to me and I then I naturally go and look at the reviews about the restaurants. I didn’t end up ordering anything but instead I looked at reviews and was shocked about some of the things I read. Despite countless good reviews some places had some reviewers that were trashing the place and had nothing positive to say about the restaurant. I completely understand that sometimes people have bad experiences however from reading these reviews I get the impression that these individuals are not writing to inform others in a helpful manner, rather they are writing to trash the reputation of the restaurant and establishment and to seek some sort of revenge from their bad experience. I honestly do not understand this. Some reviews I saw mentioned that the food was not how the person liked it, or the sauce tasted different from how the person expected it. What people fail to realize is all restaurants do things differently and the cooks cannot read minds. Many people have expectations in their heads about how food should taste because of how they personally prepare it and when this differs from what the person was expected the food becomes disgusting and is wrong. The way you cook may be completely different from how the restaurant cooks however this difference should not define the restaurant and how someone else sees it.
 
The other day a friend came over and we cooked dinner together. We started with a fresh salad with green onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumbers. When I went to take a bite I noticed the cucumbers still had the skin on them, normally I take the skin off so I simply mentioned this to my friend and he acknowledged it and we finished eating the salads. Although this is a simple example this is easily something that can happen in a restaurant. I personally like to peel the skin of the cucumbers but my friend likes to keep it on. This is a totally personal choice however it is nothing to complain and trash a restaurant for. This got me thinking why people write bad reviews over trivial things. I read some reviews and I scratched my head because they no longer become reviews but really just complaint boards that do nothing to actually do with improving the restaurant and instead seem like the only purpose is to trash the place. Our world is so full of individuals that complain and go out of their way to hurt others which really baffles me, I wish we can build each other up as opposed to bringing each other down.  At the bottom of things everyone has a right to their own opinion however just  remember, the restaurant cooks do not go out of their way to provide a negative experience for their guests so why do reviewers go out of their ways to ruin the reputation of these establishments?

What do you think about this topic? I would love to hear any thought about this topic!             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Imperfectly Perfect- A Love Story

           Once upon a time, well about 10 years ago to be exact a lonely girl was searching for something or someone to connect to. She di...